Yields 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 8 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds chuck beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound carrots, sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound boiling onions, such as pearl onions
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Cognac
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) dry red wine
- 3 cups beef broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup parsley, freshly chopped, for garnish
- SELECT Brown on the Cosori Multicooker, set temperature to 400°F, and press Start/Cancel. Allow the multicooker to heat up.
- ADD in the bacon and cook until lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside on a plate. Add oil to the pot with bacon fat.
- PAT DRY the beef cubes with paper towels and then season them with salt and pepper.
- SEAR the beef in the hot oil and bacon fat for 3 to 5 minutes, browning all sides.
- REMOVE the beef and set it aside with the bacon.
- ADD the carrots, onions, and mushrooms to the multicooker pot and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- ADD the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- DEGLAZE with the Cognac and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol. Stand back when lighting to ensure safety.
- PLACE the meat and bacon back into the multicooker pot with the juices and add the bottle of wine, beef broth, soy sauce, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil, and once boiling press Start/Cancel. Cover with lid.
- SELECT Simmer and set the timer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- MIX together the flour and butter in a small separate bowl until it forms a ball.
- WHISK in the flour and butter mixture little by little to the multicooker pot until it is all incorporated and smooth when done simmering.
- SELECT Boil (H) and cook for 5 minutes, or until the stew has come to a nice thickness.
- SEASON to taste with salt and pepper.
- SERVE with freshly chopped parsley and warm toasted bread.